The Monastery of Saint Lazarus
The community in which Athanasius labored had been founded in the mid-fourteenth century by Saint Lazarus of Murom, a monk from Constantinople who came to Russia in 1343 as an iconographer in the service of the Archbishop of Novgorod. Directed by visions, Lazarus established a monastery on Murom Island in Lake Onega, in the Olonets region of the Russian North, where he built a church of the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos, a church of the Resurrection of Lazarus, and a wooden church of Saint John the Forerunner. Saint Lazarus reposed in 1391, and his disciples and successors continued the community he had planted in the far north.
Athanasius governed this monastery as its abbot in the generation or so after the founder, in the mid-fifteenth century. His leadership belongs to the early history of monasticism in the Russian North, where small island and forest communities like Murom carried the ascetic and missionary life into a remote frontier.