The Ascension monastery near Nizhny Novgorod
The community Dionysius founded on the steep Volga shore some distance from Nizhny Novgorod grew from a single cave hermitage into a monastery whose later identity preserved the name Pechersky, linking it to the Kiev Caves cloister from which he had come even though the rebuilt site had no caves of its own.
Among those formed under his guidance were Saints Euthymius of Suzdal and Macarius of Zheltovod, both later venerated in their own right. The monastery he established was destroyed by a landslide in 1597 and rebuilt the same year a short distance upstream of the original site.