Foundation at Pelsheme
Having sought out the ascetic Dionysius of Glushitsa, Gregory withdrew into the wilderness along the River Pelsheme. According to his life, he crossed the river carrying a cross on his shoulders and planted it in a thicket by the bank, marking the site of his new community.
The first church was constructed in 1426 and dedicated to the Most Holy Theotokos, with its icons painted by Saint Dionysius of Glushitsa. The monastery Gregory founded there became the center of his ascetic labors and later bore his name.