Reviewed entry
Venerable (Monastic)15th century

Venerable Nikon Abbot of Radonezh

c. 1352–1426

Also known as Nikon of Radonezh

Disciple and successor of Saint Sergius of Radonezh as abbot, who restored the monastery after its devastation and guided its monastic life.

November 17New Calendar
Feast Day
November 30Old Calendar
Commemorated as

Our Venerable Father Nikon, Abbot of Radonezh

Life

Nikon of Radonezh (born c. 1352 at Yuryev-Polsky) was a Russian monastic, disciple, and eventual successor of Saint Sergius of Radonezh as abbot of the Holy Trinity Monastery. As a young man he sought out Sergius, who initially declined to receive him and directed him instead to Saint Athanasius at the monastery in Serpukhov, where he was tonsured and, by tradition, ordained to the priesthood around the age of thirty.

After returning to the Trinity Monastery, Nikon became Sergius's cell-attendant and was named his successor roughly six months before Sergius's death in 1392. He led the community through the devastation of Tatar raids, oversaw the monastery's rebuilding, uncovered the incorrupt relics of Saint Sergius in 1422, and commissioned the iconographers Andrei Rublev and Daniel Chorny to decorate the new Trinity Cathedral. Under his leadership the Trinity Monastery became a dominant center of Russian spiritual life and a major pilgrimage destination. He died on 17 November 1426 and was formally canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church in 1547.

Timeline10 momentsReadHide
  1. c. 1352BirthBorn at Yuryev-Polsky (some accounts give 1355).
  2. c. 1375Joins the Trinity MonasteryAfter tonsure under Saint Athanasius at Serpukhov and ordination to the priesthood, Nikon returns to Saint Sergius and becomes his cell-attendant.
  3. 1392Named successor to SergiusAppointed abbot roughly six months before Sergius's death on 25 September 1392, then withdraws to his cell; Savva of Storozhevsk leads the monastery in the interim.
  4. c. 1398–1400Resumes the abbacyAfter Savva departs to found his own monastery near Zvenigorod, the brethren persuade Nikon to resume leadership of the Trinity Monastery.
  5. 1408Monastery burned by Khan EdigeiThe community flees with relics and books during the invasion; on their return they find the monastery destroyed, and Nikon directs its rebuilding.
  6. 1411Wooden Trinity church consecratedConsecrated 25 September, the anniversary of Sergius's death. Between 1409 and 1411 Nikon also purchases estates in Dmitrov and Radonezh.
  7. 1422Relics of Saint Sergius uncoveredOn 5 July, the incorrupt relics of Sergius are discovered during excavation for the new stone cathedral and enshrined.
  8. c. 1422–1425Trinity Cathedral decoratedNikon commissions Andrei Rublev and Daniel Chorny to paint the interior; Rublev's Icon of the Holy Trinity is created for this church.
  9. 17 November 1426ReposeDies after receiving Communion and blessing the brethren; buried near Sergius's reliquary.
  10. 1547CanonizationThe Russian Orthodox Church establishes his universal celebration at the Council of Moscow.

Contributions & Legacy

7 contributionsReadHide

Early Life and Monastic Formation

Nikon was born around 1352 (some accounts give 1355) at Yuryev-Polsky. Having heard of the monastic reputation of Saint Sergius of Radonezh, he sought him out as a young man. According to the tradition, Sergius did not immediately receive him but sent him to Saint Athanasius at the monastery of the Theotokos in Serpukhov, where Nikon was tonsured into the monastic schema after demonstrating persistence.

He became known as a zealot of obedience for his humble adherence to the tasks assigned him, and by tradition was ordained to the priesthood at about the age of thirty. Athanasius later blessed him to return to Sergius, who received him warmly and eventually had him dwell in his own cell for spiritual instruction. Accounts of his return to the Trinity Monastery place it around 1375.

Succession and Withdrawal

About six months before his death on 25 September 1392, Sergius appointed Nikon as his successor and withdrew into seclusion. After Sergius died, Nikon at first served as abbot but found the burden heavy and retreated to his cell. During this period Saint Savva of Storozhevsk led the monastery, until around 1398–1400, when Savva departed to found his own monastery near Zvenigorod.

The brethren then persuaded Nikon to resume the abbacy, which he accepted while reserving time each day for contemplative silence.

Restoration of the Monastery

Nikon led the community through repeated devastation. The monastery suffered a Tatar raid in late 1392 and was burned during Khan Edigei's invasion of 1408, which compelled the brethren to flee with the relics, books, and vessels; on their return they found the monastery destroyed. Nikon directed all of the reconstruction.

By tradition, during the threatened invasion of 1408 Nikon prayed fervently and received a vision of the hierarchs Peter and Alexis of Moscow alongside Sergius, assuring him that the monastery would survive and flourish. A wooden Trinity church was consecrated on 25 September 1411, the anniversary of Sergius's death. Between 1409 and 1411 Nikon expanded the monastery's holdings by purchasing estates in Dmitrov and Radonezh. He then oversaw the building of a stone cathedral over Sergius's tomb.

The Trinity Cathedral and Andrei Rublev

Nikon commissioned the iconographers Andrei Rublev and Daniel Chorny (Daniel the Black) to decorate the interior of the new stone Trinity Cathedral, work dated to roughly 1422–1425. For this church Rublev painted his renowned Icon of the Holy Trinity (the Hospitality of Abraham), understood to reflect the spiritual vision central to Sergius's life.

Through these works and the rebuilding, Nikon made the Trinity Monastery a dominant center of Russian spiritual life and a major destination for pilgrims.

Uncovering of Saint Sergius's Relics

On 5 July 1422, during excavation for the new cathedral, workers uncovered the incorrupt relics of Saint Sergius of Radonezh. The community rejoiced and placed them in a new reliquary within the church. This date is commemorated as one of Nikon's associated feasts (6 July).

Repose and Canonization

Nikon died in November 1426 (17 November), after receiving Communion and blessing the brethren, and was buried near the reliquary of Saint Sergius, by the southern wall of the Trinity Cathedral. Hieromonk Pachomius the Logothete composed his service and life under the hierarch Jonah (1448–1461).

In 1547 the Russian Orthodox Church established his universal celebration at the Council of Moscow (the Makaryev Sobor). A church was built over his grave in 1548, rebuilt in 1623, with his relics placed in a crypt. The 500-year anniversary of his repose was commemorated in 1976 at the Trinity-Sergius Lavra.

Relics & Shrines

Nikon was buried near the southern wall of the Trinity Cathedral, close to the reliquary of Saint Sergius. A stone church dedicated to him was built over his grave in 1548 and rebuilt in 1623; his relics were placed in a crypt.

Companions4 figuresShowHide
Related SaintsShowHide

Browse other saints who share his calling and place.

Sources: OCA Synaxarion (oca.org), Lives of the Saints